Monday 3 March 2014

Spoken Word Poetry

Here is the piece me and my friend performed for our final exam for our Oral Communication class. It is not complete yet, it is still missing the last paragraph. Enjoy!

Pain. Suffering. Its ok.
High school. College.
Stepping stones.
Learning this and that
It’s ok
I was that girl
Afraid. Weak. Fragile.
I chose this life.
I wanted this life
I was hurt, broken and gave up many times
But God helped me
I prayed for strength
And every time I got thrown to the ground
But I am here
Standing strong
From friends to family
Who all tore my heart and left me
with loneliness
I stood up
And I wiped away my tears
Maybe I didn’t try too hard.
You know, how you look at things like they could’ve been way better
But they’re not
That’s how I look at my life
Maybe I didn’t sleep enough when I needed to
Or ate enough vegetables when my mom told me to
‘Cause every time I look at myself,
I see something not worthwhile
I needed people to tell me I was worth something
But they didn’t
I didn’t hold it against them, though
Maybe I just wasn’t worth it.
So I watched
I watched everyone’s life go by
While I sat at the sidelines admiring them
And hoping that someday that would be me
It was like I was in a car that’s heading somewhere I don’t know
I was growing old but I wasn’t growing up
I tottered on safe sidewalks while people around me took leaps of faith
Then I was tired.
I was tired of watching
So I stood up and without a second thought,
I leaped.
I leaped into my life and took it on headfirst
I wasn’t the passenger anymore, I was the driver
And I liked it.
I was going to places I’ve never been to before
With an ounce of fear and a couple more ounces of faith
This is my life
So here I am searching for myself
I am happy right now I can feel myself missing my time here
Nothings bringing me down no ones stopping me
I am that girl running free
I got what I wanted
I’m away from those silly arguments, negative atmospheres and problems here and there
Now I’m surrounded by happy joyful people, full of positive vibes
It doesn’t hurt anymore
I love this freedom, I love my life
I made this decision and I am living it the way I wanted it
Yes it’s hard, yes it hurts
Away from family, away from friends but I made this sacrifice, I made this decision
All I see right now is New York
Being here is a stepping stone
I live a life with no regrets, either it happened for a reason or it is a lesson learned
I will always bring this with me
But I’m not done yet
I've made my decision.
I don't let the days pass me by anymore.
I have one life
One chance
A lot of things might stop me
People telling me I'm crazy enough to do the things I do
I let go when everybody told me to hold on
I try my best to fight
I open up my eyes to sky to find my way
I fight for the better days
The road I chose is tough
And it takes a toll on me
When that happens I pray
I pray for the heavens to remind me
Of the dream that I protect with all my heart
The dream that would someday be mine
I'm still young
And my dream could be ruled out as a mere fantasy
Something impossible
I've listen to the voices around me
They have swayed me to their direction long enough
But now I stand my ground
My dream
It's once in a lifetime
I leaped.
I leaped into my life and took it on headfirst
I wasn’t the passenger anymore, I was the driver
And I liked it.
I was going to places I’ve never been to before
With an ounce of fear and a couple more ounces of faith
This is my life

We all have a dream
And I am scared as hell for mine
Sometimes I feel like it will never become reality
But I say to myself, New York I will see you soon
I will be there I say to myself
Chasing celebrities, attending events
I will be further away from family, making new friends But it’s ok
I want to be walking the streets of New York, working and living that kind of life
No one controlling me or holding me back or telling me what to do
I want that glamorous life
Yes it’s hard, trust me everyone’s told me
But I want it so bad, I imagine my life every time
And yes, I picture myself in New York
People tried to stop me before
But here I am, I fought for this life
I can smile every time
I am eager

It might take a while but I know I'll get there
I want to be where my heart is.
I may trek this journey alone
I may be lost in translation
But that's fine by me
I don't expect a bed of roses to meet me
Life is difficult
But it is never impossible.
The worst might come my way
The disappointments and the heartache
But I'll survive
I have to get my heart somehow.
It left without me,
And it's just waiting
Waiting for me to make a move
So here I am
Doing everything for the reunion I've often dreamed of

To be where my heart has always been.



No comments:

Post a Comment